Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Training – Day 10 (w2)

Well, I’m already half way through Week 2 of my transformation!  I posted 2 YouTube videos of songs that have inspired me this week.  The first is Revelation by Third Day.  They are one of my all-time favorite bands.  It talks about asking God to lead you on the right path to avoid a life of uncertainty.  My “revelation” from God has been to become a healthier and happier mother, wife, daughter, sister, friend, and nurse.  The second song is The Great Adventure by Steven Curtis Chapman.  I am currently embarking on my great adventure!

Yesterday was a day of many victories!  Let’s see….. can I remember them all?

  1. I passed up cinnamon rolls in the break room and didn’t even think twice about it!
  2. I ate a 3” subway sandwich with no mayo/oil and skipped the cookie for dessert at a lunch meeting.
  3. Successfully completed my training day (run/walk). 

Brent & I made it out to the track last night after work.  I decided to repeat last week’s run/walk training schedule this week b/c I just don’t think I’m ready to increase my run times.  When I say it was cold, I am not saying that lightly.  Most of my friends and family know that I am ALWAYS hot, so for me to say it was cold – it must have been really cold!  At any rate, it is really hard for someone with asthma to run in cold weather!!!  I really struggled with my breathing.  It felt like I was trying to breathe through one of those tiny little coffee straws while running.  Even sucking down the inhaler didn’t help much!  Finally starting to feel somewhat normal after that 3 week bout of bronchitis, so that probably didn’t help matters. 

Despite my breathing troubles, I actually completed 2.25 miles during my 31 minute cycle.  This time last week I only went 1.5 miles in that same amount of time.  Improvement feels SOOOOO good – even if it is small!!!  It makes me want to do more so I can see even more improvement. 

Besides my asthma, my other difficulty right now is shin splints.  Last night they were so bad, I actually felt nauseous.  I’ve had lots of surgeries, so I can definitely handle pain, but this was really bad!  I’ve been walking around today with both shins wrapped with ace bandages, and it’s helped a good bit.  Anyone have any other good ideas about how to prevent / treat them?  I will probably be looking at some new running shoes in the very near future!

Diet is going well!  I did cheat today a little bit.  I woke up this morning with the worst chocolate craving, so I ate 2 chocolate truffles – without hesitation.  I guess it’s ok – once in a while – to indulge (but not go overboard).  In the past, I could have sat and eaten 5 or 6 truffles.  My new motto is moderation!  I definitely want to live long enough to watch my daughter get married and have kids!

Getting ready to head to bed with the little one.  I am trying to break her of sleeping in the bed with us, so tonight I will be sleeping on the Aero Bed in her bedroom floor.  She thinks we are having a slumber party.  Fun times!!! I LOVE being a Mommy!!!

Till next time,

Adios!! M

1 comments:

The Crazy Castros said...

Hey sweet girl glad you're a blogger like me;) good luck with staying at home and with all your workout and healthy livin' stuff, I sooo need to do something too!!!