Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Friends are Friends Forever (Day 17 - w3)

So, It's been a few days since I last updated this blog.  Since I am up at the butt-crack of dawn (with so much wonderful peacefullness), I figured this would be the perfect time to write.  It's been quite a good week so far.  After sufferring through the run/walk at Memorial Park last Friday, I decided we had to go find me a pair of shoes.  At the advice of the salesman at the running store, I rehabbed my shins over the weekend with plenty of ice, heat, & rest.  As of Monday, almost all of the pain had gone away - thankfully!! 

That leads me to present week.  Weigh-in #3 was on Monday.  Drum roll, please....... 193 lbs!!!!  A net loss of 6 lbs.  Of course, I wish it would be faster & more drastic, but 2-3 lbs / week is the safe and most effective way to lose weight. At this point, I am continuing to meet my original goals of weight loss and no [real] Coke.  Actually, I haven't even had Coke Zero in about a week.  Can you believe it???  I have substituted my sodas with unsweetenend or diet tea, which still gives me my daily shot of crack / nah - caffeine.  I am beginning to realize that caffeine is a drug that is just as addictive as nicotine and alcohol.  My body absolutely CRAVES it! 

I have completed 1 walk/run this week during the day with my BFF Kara.  I'm still on the Week 1 cycle of walk 90 secs / run 60 secs because the shin splints have really been hindering my progression.  Well, let me tell you that the new shoes, compression socks, and ice really DO help!!!  I was able to complete the whole training plan without stopping early or being unable to walk later in the afternoon.  In fact, I really liked doing the workout in the morning.  It gave me so much energy all day - I don't know that I've had endorphins like that in a long time.  Probably the last time was when I was still riding on the fire truck!  I've decided that I will have to attempt most of my workouts in the morning from now on! 

Kara surprised me with some good news during our run.  Her hobby is fitness training.  We used to take kickboxing together.  In fact, our first "bonding" experience was when she fussed at me for eating gum during our kickboxing workout.  Hahaha!  I still laugh when I think about that day.  Anyway, Kara has decided that she will be accompanying Sonya, Adrianne and myself on the run in April.  She's never been to Charleston, so this will be a fun time to workout and see the sights in my homestate.  So, she told me yesterday that she's decided to run with me at my pace for the whole race just to provide support.  Kara is an avid runner, so the fact that she is going to stay at my pace means a TON.  It just got me thinking about how lucky I am to have such supportive & non-judgemental friends!  All of my BFF's (& Brent!) have been so supportive of my goals thus far, and I am so thankful that God has blessed me beyond words!!

Zoe had a rough night last night, so I spent most of my sleeping time in the rocking chair.  By 430, I was wide awake and couldn't go back to sleep.  So, I decided to get up and do some Yoga.  Call me crazy, but it was so wonderful to be up early doing exercise.  It was so quiet, & I could really focus on what I was doing.  Will I be doing this every morning?  Probably not!  But, I'd like to think that I will do it several times per week. 

Finally, in the spirit of having such great friends, I am posting a link to one of my all-time favorite songs by Michael W. Smith.  Till next time........ M

0 comments: