Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Training – Day 1

Let me preface this posting by telling you that I am in the process of recovering from a 2 week bout of bronchitis.  I’ve been having several asthma attacks a day, so I was very apprehensive about starting today.  However, the run is only 3 months from yesterday – NO TIME to lag behind!
After a lot of planning and shopping, I started my training schedule tonight – Couch potato – to – 5K  http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml   I went to Academy today and bought a new Polar heart rate monitor/watch and running armband for my iPhone……no, I won’t be talking on the phone!  It’s so I can listen to peppy music that will inspire me. 
My friend Maggie told me about an app for the iPhone that is for the Couch-to-5K regimen.  I downloaded it for only $1.99 and added some “running” songs to it before we headed out.  The program is actually really cool!  The training schedules are loaded into a calendar and you just push the START button on your particular training day.  You can listen to your music while running the program. I was a little worried about having to keep track of time with my watch, run, push the stroller, and listen to music, but this program has a bell / voice that tells you what to do & when to do it. 
The regimen for W1/D1 (week 1 / day 1) was to do a brisk 5 minute walk, followed by 60 seconds of running then 90 minutes of walking for 20 minutes.  At the end of the run/walk cycle, you have another 5 min walk for cool down.  This all works out to 2 / 5 minute walks and 8 cycles of run/walk (30 minutes total).
Brent, Zoe & I headed out for the track at Creekside Intermediate.  We stretched a little before starting – MAN – I really wish I had stretched better! 
I actually did pretty well for my fist day!  Don’t get me wrong – I struggled and my whole body hurt as I ran, but I DID finish and I’m NOT dead!  I actually did 6 out of the 8 cycles of R/W (I walked the other 2 in the middle of the workout).  I think I could have done all 8 running; however, my R calf seized up and was rock hard. I could hardly even walk it hurt so bad.  Note to self – I must develop a good stretching routine before doing this again.  Nothing a little Motrin 800 and whirlpool bath wouldn’t take care of ;)
When we got home, we ate grilled pork tenderloin, 1/2 sweet potato and some steamed veggies.  Not too bad for my first day!  Like I said, it was hard, but I met my goals for the day and I didn’t die in the process.  Mission achieved!  Hopefully I will be able to walk tomorrow……Only time will tell.
I want to mention 2 of the songs that especially gave me inspiration during my run tonight:
Run to You by Third Day 

The Change by Steven Curtis Chapman 

0 comments: