Monday, March 21, 2011

Transformation




Boot Camp Orientation was amazing last night!  The theme of the evening, as well as the theme of my own life, seemed to focus on transformation.......transformation of body, life, and spirit.  When I found out that Master Garza was holding this boot camp, a strong will inside me pushed me to sign up.  In fact, I was the first person on the list :) 

Before heading to orientation last night, I was so nervous!  I'm not really sure why - I have done boot camp twice already.  In past boot camps, I have let my poor self confidence over take my ability to finish.  I can remember thinking that almost all of the other participants were so much better / faster / skinnier / athletic than me.  I always felt like the last one to finish a run or the first one to give up when I felt tired.  I think this is why I never fully finished a boot camp.  After fully opening myself up to the message of last night's orientation, I realize that it is God who led me to this third "try".  I feel different this time!  I feel a definite desire to succeed, not for my pride, but for my desire to lead a healthier life and maybe, just maybe to inspire at least one person who is where I was three months ago. 

We heard two people talk last night about their own struggles / successes with life transformation.  I realized at that point, that God had truly led me to this place.  It was almost as if they were "talking" directly to me!  I am so excited to know that I am not alone in this journey!  I have the support of God, my family, my friends, and 30 wonderful people I have just met :)  Reflecting on what I've learned over the past 2.5 months and even last night at boot camp, I realize that transformation is a life-long journey (a daily process).  I know that there will be good days and bad days.  But, what's most important is "being still" and trusting that God will give me the strength to overcome the obstacles so that I can make my body a temple to him.  Transformation is about celebrating each victory, be it small or large and not focusing on the setbacks!  I am so excited about participating in this boot camp!  Thank you God for providing me with such great support!!!

 Spring 2011 Boot Camp participants at PMA League City - There are 30 of us!

 Receiving inspiration and a wonderful message from Master Garza

Our fearless leader - Master Garza

On to other things - updates on my progress (since I haven't posted many recently):
  • Weighed this morning, and I'm at 182 lbs.  Weightloss has plateaued a bit lately; however, I am hoping this boot camp will kick start it again. 
  • I have been constantly wearing size 14 pants - down from 16 (at the start).  I have even worn a size 12 skirt that I haven't been able to wear in 4 years :) :) :)
  • Reached my all-time record for my mile run last night at 11:45 min/mile.  Woo Hoo!!!!!!  Shock & awe is all I can say to describe the experience. 
  • Only 12 more days until the Cooper River Bridge Run 10K in Charleston!!!!  Can't wait to run this and bond with family & friends in my native South Carolina :)
  • I bought a bike this weekend so I can start cross training.  Here's a stock photo (not the same color, but you get the idea) - A Cannondale Quick 5 performance hybrid


I hope to keep posting routine blogs about boot camp and our progress as a group.  So, until next time - celebrate all milestones - big and small :)  M

3 comments:

The Crazy Castros said...

such a great message!!!Thanks girl.

Meagan Byrd said...

Maria - thanks for following me! :)

jkanaz said...

Progress not perfection!!!! Thank the Lord you are leaving the "All or Nothing" mentality behind. It is a tool of the evil one to keep us afraid and in chains. You are stepping out in faith-- in so many ways!! it is so freeing!!