Monday, March 28, 2011

The Plateau

I realized today that I had not taken measurements in almost 2 months.  Whew - time flies!  So the results are in, and I am on cloud 9..........

Latest Measurements

Measurement
1/4/11 (sizes)
1/30/11 (sizes)
3/28/11 (sizes)
Net Loss
Height5’4”5’4”5’4”
Weight200 lbs189 lbs181.5 lbs19.5
BMI
Pant Size1616 (loosely)14
Shirt SizeXL (16/18)XL (16/18 – loosely)XL / L
Bra Size42 DD42 DD (loosely)40 DD
Chest (in)49 3/847454.375
Waist (in)4843426
Hips (in)4644424

I also take bicep and thigh measurements (which are not reflected in this chart).  Based on all the measurements taken, I have lost a total of 10.5 inches since my last assessment on 1/30/11 – this makes a grand total of 19.5 inches lost since 1/3/11.  Wow!  Yet again, I am amazed and ready to keep going!  All of the aches and pains are totally worth it when you can see this type of results! 

The scale hasn't shown a marked weight loss in the past 3-4 weeks (although I’ve lost a total of almost 20 lbs to date), so I've been a little concerned about my weight loss"plateau".  Everyone I've talked to speaks about this plateau that happens ~2 months into a weight loss routine.  I’ve done some reading online to see what causes this plateau and how to get around it.  Both WebMD and Mayo Clinic online say that weight loss plateau is extremely common and caused by a change in the body's metabolism and an initial weight dump generally from water.  I found 10 great tips for overcoming the weight loss plateau on WebMD.  Most of them look very doable and require only small changes in my current daily routine:

  1. Stay motivated by envisioning the "end product"
  2. Be cognizant of your weight loss style & eating habits - journaling is a great way to do this.  (I use the Weight Watchers app on my iPhone to keep track of my daily food intake.  Probably not as much as I should, but I strive to become better at this!)
  3. Keep a food journal - write down EVERYTHING you eat!!
  4. Be ware of "calorie creep" - Many dieters get a false sense of security when they see the weight come off quickly, so they begin to add unneeded calories back into their diets. 
  5. Don't over-eat at restaurants - Restaurants are notorious for loading your plate up with 2-3 times the recommended portion size (this is a time when it's ok not to clean your plate).
  6. Eat a diet high in protein and fiber to curb hunger and build muscle / encourage increased weight loss.
  7. Increase daily consumption of fruits and veggies (I am currently on a watermelon feeding frenzy!  Not only is it a fruit, but it is also a diuretic, so it helps to lose some of that unwanted water weight gain we females dislike).
  8. Change up your workout routine - Add intensity to the workout!
  9. Wear a pedometer to count the amount of steps you take daily.  A good way to add steps is to park away from the front door when shopping, taking the stairs instead of the escalator/elevator, walk to your mailbox to pick up the mail instead of just driving up to it (our neighborhood has large boxes at the front so this works for me), walk / bike to the park instead of driving.
  10. Avoid stress eating by doing some yoga - this is a new concept for me!  I love the way yoga and thai chi relax me, so bring IT on!!!

I feel that boot camp will really help my body to get over this plateau and get my metabolism moving again.  On another note, we start Week 2 of boot camp tonight at 8pm.  It is going wonderfully!  I am sore and tired, but it's worth it.  I ended up going to class Sunday - Friday last week.  We were supposed to exercise on 1 other day during the weekend, but I decided not to work out.  I really felt like my body needed the rest, and I really don't want to drive myself to the point where I can't finish this race on Saturday.  Not to mention the fact that I turned my (bad) ankle over three times since Friday and fell out of the bed this morning (bruising my arm).  I am such a clutz!!  Brent wants to wrap me in bubble wrap until Saturday morning :)  After the race is finished, no holds bar.......... I'm going full-steam ahead! 

The spiritual and emotional experience I am having at boot camp has also been phenomenal!  I have so much to share but not enough time right now.  I hope to be able to share some of those experiences & thoughts when I get home tonight!  Till then, it's time to go to kick some bootie!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Meagan, you're doing great. I wanted to add one more tip to the one's you have for dealing with the weight plateau. Remember that if you are eating healthy and exercising, you are doing good things for your body. You are still getting results, just maybe not the kind you can see. But good things are happening to your heart, your cholesterol levels, your mood, the list goes on. Keep doing the right things and you can't help but see good results. There's treasure at the finish line.