Wednesday, March 9, 2011

"Live Like You Were Dying"

I know, I know!  I have been so slack in posting this past month.  I guess I let the winter blahs get to me and I got soft on my focus.  Weight loss has slowed a bit.  Right now, I'm around 182-183 which is a total of 17 lb weight loss since January.  I was so psyched b/c I was able to wear a size 12 skirt to work last week that I haven't worn in 4 years. 

Brent, Zoe, & I completed our first 5K as a family on 3/5/11.  The Methodist Hospital's Stride for Stroke was held on the beautiful Rice University campus.  Severe thunderstorms had gone through the area before the race, so the roads were wet.  We did not register for the race as runners because I just wasn't sure how much I'd be able to run.  So, we started at the back of the pack with the walking group.  We ended up running and walking and finishing the race in 43:57 - averages out at 14:15 minutes / mile.  We even ended up finishing before some of the registered runners did.  I can't even explain how elated I was to finish at my strongest!  On another note, the run was for a great cause - Stroke Awareness.  As of this evening, Methodist raised $93,132 for stroke research.  As the granddaughter of a man who had multiple TIA's (mini strokes) and a woman with an undetected brain injury that led to her death, I am so happy to have participated!!  For more info about Methodist, the race, and stroke, you can check out the following website:
http://www.kintera.org/faf/home/default.asp?ievent=347569

Of course, we took pics to commemorate our run.


Next stop - Charleston for the 2011 Cooper River Bridge Run.  My dear friend, Melissa, will be joining us for the big event (10K).  I have to step up my training over the next several weeks to get ready!!

In order to help with the 10K preparation, I signed up to start Spring Boot Camp at Premier Martial Arts in League City (http://www.algarza.com/).  I've been to 2 boot camps there but never finished either one of them.  This time, my will to succeed and finish is so much stronger!  I can't quit / fail!!!  Master Garza is truly inspirational!  I can't wait to start on March 20.  Will plan on keeping the blog updated on the progress of the boot camp :)



Finally, Brent, Zoe & I went to the rodeo on Monday night to play and watch Tim McGraw.  Our friend Melissa & her daughter, Marizza came with us.  We had a fabulous time!!!!  (Pics to follow).  A song that Tim sang really made me think about my fitness & wellness goals - I realize that I can't rely on anyone to accomplish these goals for me!  I have to do this for myself, relying on myself to get off my butt and do the work (pain & all) and give each day my all (as if it were my last). 


Till next time, live each day to the fullest!!!!

0 comments: