Monday, May 16, 2011

Sprint for Life

On Saturday May 7, Brent, Mel, Nancy, Brent (another one), Patricia, Todd & I competed in the 2011 Sprint for Life benefitting MD Anderson Cancer Center and ovarian cancer research. 


The race took place through the Texas Medical Center - such beautiful / authentic route.  The weather that day couldn't have been more perfect!  The temp was ~ 65 with no clouds in the sky.  Why can't it always be like that in Houston?  I'm really dreading the summer runs!!!

I finished better this time around!  Still not as good as I would like, but I AM improving, so I'll be happy. 
Finished in 40:04 (12:55 min/mile pace).  I remember when I started this whole process in January - I couldn't even run 10 steps without having to stop.  My average time to run / walk a mile was 20 minutes.  I have improved my time by 7-8 minutes (depending on distance).  I am in utter amazement!!!!  Makes me want to keep going so I will get that much better :)  My fastest mile so far is 11:22 (pace). 

(I also participated in the March of Dimes walk on May 1 but did not run - so I'm not going to write about it).

So, here are some pics from the race.  We had a blast!  It's so much fun running with a group of friends!  I'm so glad that my new friend, Nancy, is now joining the fun!  The best part of the race was when I crested the braeswood bayou bridge and saw Brent waiting for me. He ran the last 200 yards with me.  Such a great man!!! 

 Nancy Whitehead, me, & Mel (pre-race)

 Birds of a feather flock together ;)

 Waiting on Nancy to come across the finish line.  So happy to see Brent & Mel there!!

 Mommy's little lady bug

Running buddies!


Next Stop - Classic 10K / Rowley 5K in Middletown, NY on June 12.  Brent and I are going to NY in June to visit family, so we decided to add a run to the trip.  This run will actually take place on our 12th wedding anniversary.  I never would have imagined I would be running when we got married 12 years ago.  Wow - times have changed :)  I'll be running the 5K (since I'm still recovering from surgery) and Brent will run the 10.  Can't wait!!!!!

0 comments: