Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Scrapbooks finished & SHOWN to birth mom

Well, I finally finished the adoption scrapbook on September 20th. I'd been working on the scrapbook for about 6 months. It was definitely a labor of love. So many times, I put a page together & then tore it apart, b/c it just wasn't what liked.

We had to print off 10 books to be shown to prospective birth mothers. This is actually how the birth mothers "choose" us to be the adoptive parents. They (birth mothers) review the scrapbooks & choose which couple "stands out" in their minds as good prospective parents. We had the books printed at Kinkos w/ spiral binding, & then I took bright-colored ribbons & ran them through the spirals to make it look like the books were tied with ribbon. They ended up looking really awesome!

I took the books down to the agency on 9/22 with our contract & final paperwork. That same day, Brent paid our first deposit for the adoption (let me just say it was 5 figures). I can't even begin to explain the emotions that went through me as I drove down to Richmond with those books. I've been working on the books for so long, it was a little difficult to give them up.....I know it sounds really weird. Plus, I finally realized that this was the closest we'd ever been to having a child. I was feeling excited & a "little" overwhelmed at the same time. Once I gave the books to Jennifer, she told me that we were on the open list & just waiting to be chosen by a birth mother. She also said that this is the "hardest" part of the adoption - waiting, waiting, & more waiting............ Need I say more - It's almost like the waiting we had to do during the 10 days b/w the in vitro & pregnancy tests - except there really isn't an "end date" on the list.

By 9/29 I actually found out that our profile had actually been SHOWN for the first time. That brings me to the present - It's been 2 weeks now, & we still haven't heard any news. I'm guessing that the birth mother just didn't feel a connection with us, so we'll continue to wait & pray. It's probably for the best though...... I would rather her be sure that we are her choice before we proceed any further. I do have to admit that the waiting is killing me though!!!! I have definitely learned patience through this whole ordeal, and I know that it will finally happen when God is ready - but it's very hard not knowing anything........ I'd like to think if this were a "traditional" pregnancy, I would probably be in the first 2-10 weeks of pregnancy (before you ever find out you're pregnant).

Signing off for now....... I'd like to post a copy of the profile on here, but I'm not sure how. If I figure out how to attach a PDF, I'll post it..... If not, then you won't be able to see it.

Thanks to all of our friends & family for the prayers & support. We love you all!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I just have to say that I can't wait until you have your baby! I think about it everyday:) Whenever he/she (but I had a dream it would be a very cute little boy with lots of brown hair) is home and you guys are settled I want to come visit! I know this whole thing has been like you're just holding your breath everyday but when you get that baby and it's official you can breathe again!! It's the most wonderful feeling in the world:)